ProctorU: Overview and Technology Requirements
ProctorU is an online proctoring service that allows students to take exams online while ensuring the integrity of the exam for the institution.
NOTE: If you are taking an online course that offers a ProctorU option, this will be announced in your course syllabus.
ProctorU uses proctors who monitor exam takers in three ways. ProctorU proctors
- Authenticate the test taker’s identity to ensure that the person being monitored is the correct student.
- Observe the test taker via a webcam. The student is connected to a real person who guides him/her through the process.
- Watch the test taker's screen in real time and can see everything the student is doing both at the location and on screen.
- A minimum of 72-hour notice is required to schedule an online exam with ProctorU.
- All appointments should be made at least 3 days in advance, since reservations made within 72 hours of your exam are subject to a $5 late reservation fee.
- The exam can be taken online at your convenience, at a specified date and time.
- The exam is a timed, online exam (see the exam description in your course syllabus for course-specific exam time limits).
- Two forms of photo ID, along with a webcam, microphone, and computer with Internet connection are required.
- Exams proctored through ProctorU cost $8.75 (30-min. exam), $14.75 (1-hr. exam), $21.50 (90-min. and 2-hour exam), or $30.25 (3-hour exam) billed when you schedule the exam. This fee covers the entire testing experience regardless of how much actual time it takes to complete the exam.
- Refunds are given if the exam is canceled within 48 hours before the scheduled exam time.
- PC: A reliable computer running Windows XP or higher with 500 MB of RAM or higher
- Mac: A reliable computer running Mac OS 10 or higher
Other technical specifications
- Webcam with 640x480 video pixel resolution
- Headphones or working speakers connected to the computer
- Microphone connected to the computer (we recommend having a webcam that has a built-in microphone)
- Reliable high speed Internet connection (minimum 768 Kbps/128 Kbps)
- Web browser with Adobe Flash Player installed (Flash Player 10 or higher recommended)
- Authority to allow remote access to your computer and screen by one of our proctors
Is your system ready? Take the ProctorU System Test.